The modern setbacks facing conventional institutions of higher learning such as expensive tuition, course shortages and budged cuts have led students to seek after better options. Online education has emerged as the best alternative for students seeking to earn a diploma or degree in any course. The increasing popularity of learning online is the reason many have come to regard it as equally effective as traditional forms of learning. The following article seeks to explore the advantages and disadvantages of online learning.
Advantages of E-learning
- Regardless of what course you are willing to study, you are guaranteed to find it online. You can also earn any academic degree online, from a certificate up to a doctorate.
- Low Cost: Not all online programs are affordable but the associated costs of learnon online are considerably lower than those for traditional colleges. For instance, there is no course material required like text books because reading materials are offered online for free. You also do not have to budget for commuting costs. Furthermore, many higher learning institutions are accepting credits earned through free massive open online courses- MOOCs. These courses enable students to fulfill their education needs for little or no cost.
- Conducive Learning Environment: One of the main advantages of online courses is that you do not have to make a physical appearance in class. You are able to access lectures and learning materials electronically and study whenever or wherever is most convenient for you.
- Career Advancement: Online learning enables you to complete your degree while working or raising your family. Earning your degree online increases your chances of climbing the ranks in your current job.
- Transfer of Credits: If you are a student and you are supposed to attend summer lessons but live far, taking online lessons from an accredited institution and transferring the credits is your best option. Also, if a university or college has no remaining slots for a particular course, you can take lessons at a recognised online institution then transfer the credits.
Disadvantages of E-learning
- Human Interaction: Although most people argue that online learning is good for those who are shy and less distracted when working alone, mingling with other students is a very important part of learning. Online courses do not provide you with the exposure and human interaction available in traditional colleges and universities. In conventional learning institutions, you make friends and compete. Competition stimulates you to work harder and make more effort at learning.
- Practicals: Courses that involve practice do not work well if you are learning online. This form of learning, therefore, favours theoretical lessons and is not as effective with practical lessons as face to face classes.